Saturday, July 16, 2011

DJ Funeral Fresh


The week has been stressful. Deadlines approaching, irritating bosses and whiny kids. To get away from it all you put on your evening’s best and head to one of the hottest clubs in town. Upon arriving you notice a few key things- that the place is packed and your favorite song is blaring through the speakers. This inspires you to dance freely. As you find yourself lost in the music you look up to the man controlling your music and say to yourself “Thank God for the DJ.”
The appreciation for the DJ mentioned above is what the Urban/Hip Hop scene in Cincinnati has felt for DJ Funeral Fresh since 2006, and who is now taking his talents to New York. I sat down with him to take a closer look at the man behind the DJ booth. Let’s zone in on a few questions he answered.

DrDesha: Who and what taught you how to DJ?

Funeral Fresh: I been making actual mixtapes since 7th grade. Back then I out them in my Walkman and listened to music while doing work in class. In 05’ I had virtual DJ and in 06’ I brought my first turntable. My turntable was an American Audio. All the popular DJ’s back then used to look at him funny when he go to parties with his American Audio.

DrDesha: Does being a DJ help you get a lot of love from the ladies? Do you have a lady?

Funeral Fresh: When I was the new kid at Winton Woods (2003-2004) all the girls wanted to know who I was, so I was popular in high school from that. The girls like the music I play. Yeah, I’m single. I like a girl who’s cool and unique, I get bored quick.

DrDesha: Who do you support or deal with regularly from Cincinnati?

Funeral Fresh: Anybody from Committee Media Group (his promotions and media company).

DrDesha: What is something you like to tell your fans?

Funeral Fresh: I don’t really call my fans, fans. I’d even kick it with my fans. I want to tell my fans to f&*k with me. Keep believing in me and my team.

Being able to catch up with Funeral Fresh after his long flight from New York was a great experience. With his laid back persona, he’ll tell that he’s a great DJ but not star studded- even though he’s DJ’d events that had Rick Ross, Yo Gotti, Soulja Boy and many other celebrities as guests.

So the next time you are at the club, check for the crowd, tip the bartender and check to see if Funeral Fresh is the DJ. All those elements combined make it a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment